Canterbury Policy, Corporate and Operations Forums
The Mayoral Forum established a Policy Forum in 2013 to:
- identify issues affecting Canterbury and investigate whether they can benefit from collaboration and/or joint advocacy
- reduce duplication of policy effort and, as a result, work more effectively and efficiently together
- provide support to smaller councils when assessing national and regional policy initiatives
- facilitate communication and engagement with Ngāi Tahu
- practise working together in ways that support innovation, collaboration and joint initiatives.
In 2017, the Chief Executives Forum also established a Canterbury Corporate Forum and a Canterbury Operations Forum. All three forums:
- harness the expertise of technical working groups to inform advice to the Mayoral Forum
- provide a mechanism to co-ordinate and align local government activity in ways that ‘stand together for Canterbury’ and support the effective and efficient delivery of local government services across our region.
Working groups include the region’s planning managers, finance managers, chief information officers, records and information managers, engineering managers, regulatory managers, a natural hazards working group, and the Canterbury stormwater forum.
The Policy Forum is chaired by Bill Bayfield (Environment Canterbury Chief Executive), the Corporate Forum by David Ward (Selwyn District Council Chief Executive), and the Operations Forum by Bede Carran (Timaru District Council Chief Executive).
Mayors standing together for Canterbury