Canterbury Policy Forum
The Mayoral Forum established a Policy Forum in 2013 to:
- identify issues affecting Canterbury and investigate whether they can benefit from collaboration and/or joint advocacy
- reduce duplication of policy effort and, as a result, work more effectively and efficiently together
- provide support to smaller councils when assessing national and regional policy initiatives
- facilitate communication and engagement with Ngāi Tahu
- practise working together in ways that support innovation, collaboration and joint initiatives.
The Forum is chaired by Bill Bayfield, Chief Executive of Environment Canterbury. Members comprise a mix of chief executives and senior policy managers from the 11 local authorities in the Canterbury region. The Forum meets at least quarterly, and is supported by the regional forums secretariat hosted by Environment Canterbury.
Specific matters before the Mayoral Forum or Chief Executives Forum may be referred to the Policy Forum to progress. In particular, the Policy Forum has supported the Mayoral and Chief Executives Forums with:
- advocacy and submissions on central government policy and regulation
- addressing multiple council issues
- data and information to support decision making
- strengthening collaboration in Canterbury.
Mayors standing together for Canterbury
Timaru District Council • Waimakariri District Council • Waimate District Council • Waitaki District Council